August 17, 2007

A Complaint Free World

"Habit is habit and not to be flung out the window . . . but coaxed downstairs a step at a time." - Mark Twain

So I got these bracelets from a complaint free world, from Christ Church Unity. I saw it on Oprah once and though it was a really cool idea. Before I go off on a rant, here's what the paper said that came with them!
Scientists believe it takes 21 days to form a new habit and complaining is habitual for most of us. The bracelets you received today are a powerful tool to remind you of how well you are creating your life with positive intentions. Suggested rules:
1. Begin to wear the bracelet now, on either wrist.
2. When you catch yourself complaining, gossiping, or criticizing (it's ok, everyone does it) move the bracelet to the other arm and begin again.
3. If you hear someone else who is wearing a bracelet complain, you may point out their need to switch the bracelet to the other arm; BUT if you're going to do this, you must move your bracelet first!
4. Stay with it. It may take many months but when you reach 21 days you will find that your entire life is happier, move loving, more positive and more abundant.

Ok, so it's all a good idea in theory, but the first problem was that I ordered them (they were free) months ago, and completely forgot about them. So I felt a bit of irony when I got the package, simply because the basic process of getting them could be a real test of patients for some people. Anyway I put it on right away and made it from the post office to Target (about 5 stop lights and two parking lots) before I had to switch wrists. In Target I had to switch it 3 times. But alas, I'm no longer wearing it, just one day later. Not because I've given up on the idea, I think the principle behind it is a very good one, I just don't think I should have to be happy when people are being idiots, trying not to complain doesn't stop them from being idiots, and I realized that even though my complaining isn't stopping them from being idiots either I'm not unhappy, I'm just releasing stress!!

1 comments:

Timbra said...

oh my gosh. . . i didnt even know these existed. the "idiots" rant is hilarious and anyway, maybe i could get in on one of these bracelets?