April 25, 2008

Praying Down Gas Prices

Alright, I often complain to my mom about the prices of gas I'm dealing with, and of course have lively discussions with the people who live near me about the prices as well.  Today I paid $3.77 a gallon for gas; which is the cheapest around, at a place down the street it was $3.91 for 87.  But I'm not going to complain about that here.


As Christians we strongly believe in prayer, and use it as our avenue to communicate with God.  Everyone has the right to talk to God about whatever is on their heart and God listens; already knowing what we are going to ask and already knowing what's best for us.  

There is apparently a movement going around called "Pray at the Pump"  where people meet at gas stations and pray that gas prices will go down.  There is also a petition going around that says; B'y signing this petition,  you agree to pray for relief from the high gas prices at least three times a day until we, the people are delivered.  These prices are destroying the middle class of America and making donating to charitable causes difficult."

I completely understand that the prices of gas are out of control, and I completely support prayer.  But I do find it a little much that there is a movement out there that want's people to commit to praying 3 times a day specifically for the price of gas to go down.  I think the price of gas isn't the real issue that we should be praying for, it's the things reasons behind the gas prices that we need to be praying for.  But we also have to had faith that God is at work in our lives and we are going through this current situation for a reason.  I know, I know, easier said when I'm not standing at the pump! 

But come to think of it, maybe praying at the pump will bring someone else to God.  Wanted to see what others think??

2 comments:

taylorchloejake said...

I've never heard of that. It made me laugh at first, even though I do believe in the power of prayer. I guess to each his own, but it does seem a little weird to me. I mean I would rather be praying for orphans in Africa, than that gas prices to go down. :) It does seem like a small issue compared to most. At this time in my life all I have time to do is pray that I make it through the day with out losing my mind.

Okay off to bed for me I've been getting these 5am wake up calls from a certain naughty baby.

Timbra said...

i guess every little bit counts eh? i agree with the idea that we should perhaps put more effort into praying for the cause of the gas prices rising instead of the superficial american issue of money (we have too many things to complain about don't we?) but you know, sometimes we don't know how to ask but God does know how to answer, so if we pray out of our own selfish motives, then He'll cause movement and change in the areas we aren't thinking of and in essence answer the prayer but not in the way we thought?! I don't know, I'm thinking I'll just start praying more about the "cause" and not the effect?!