August 12, 2007

New Orleans Part 1

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
*Click on the title of the blog to go to the Crossroads website*

I'm going to attempt to share my experiences and journal with you guys so you can know what I did and how I felt while I was working in New Orleans. I'm so glad I took the opportunity to go, I know it changed my life and I feel very satisfied with the work that I accomplished while I was there, even if it was a drop in the bucket. They say it will be about 20 years before they have New Orleans Back to normal. I'm going to break this up into a few blogs, because I know they will become very long, I've got a week's worth of experiences to try to share with you!!!

First off We flew out of Sac at 8:30 Sunday Morning, so I had to be up by 5 and to meet the my group at the building at 6:15, I pulled in right on time!! We got into New Orleans (NO) at about 4 in the afternoon. David who was on another flight picked us up because he's already gotten the car. We drove over to the place we were staying, checked in real quick and went over to Ihop for dinner, it was either that or McDonald's, they were the only two places open, despite the fact that there were tuns of restaurants and shops around, nothing has been opened back up. We had our evening Devo and checkin at 8, and we kind of got a rundown of the week. The walls everywhere aren't finished, so people have taken to writing fun things on them, and in our room the schedule was written up on the wall for us!!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday Night Journal:
"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less because of that missing drop." - Mother Teresa

I'm so excited to be here, just a few hours in and I feel like the experience is already affecting me. From bonding with the people I came with, to realizing where I am, and the things in the week to come; it's all so new and exciting. I know it's going to be a long, hot, sticky, hard week, but I also know it will be something to remember forever, and something to change my way of life, leading me in the direction I want to go. I already encountered my first roach on the way out of the bathroom tonight, he was about an inch, inch and a half long!!!
It's 10:30 and we have to be in our rooms, lights out at 11, but despite the fact that I got up at 5, I'm not tired, perhaps because it's only 8:30 at home! The place we are staying will be an experience to say the least, I'm on a cot at the moment. There's probably tuns I could write about, but I'm still getting situated, though I know I'll have plenty to report on tomorrow.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Haley,
I'm so glad that you made it back and that you enjoyed your trip. I'm just curious who you went with and how you got interested in going there in the first place. Let me know!
Love ya!