May 5, 2009

Spring Fest "Pirates of The American River"

I was super excited to go to Spring Fest this year, but the rain got the better of the event.  Spring Fest is a two day event in Fair Oaks that includes among other things: a parade, live music, a children's play, children's activities, a car show, a children's fun run, an adult run and walk, frog jumping contests, and lots of local vendors.  

I had been planning on going for months, but the rain had other plans.  I watched the parade come by my apartment and decided that I would be so dedicated that I'd stand in the rain to watch (not that it was really raining that hard but I could have watched from my bedroom window).  The parade only lasted 20 minutes; which I'm pretty sure is the shortest one in Fair Oaks history; they are usually impressively long.  But alas two of my favorite groups held strong and walked/rode in the parade; the Fair Oaks Sci-Fi club, and the segway riding polo players . . . seriously?

Later in the day I walked over to Old Fair Oaks to check out the happenings; there wasn't much happening, I walked there and back and checked everything out in less than 20 minutes :(  There were only maybe 15-20 vendors, and they were all huddled around in the same area; kind of sad.

So Spring Fest wasn't quite what I'd hoped but it was fun none the less.  The theme for the year was Pirates of The American River; so there was a lot of lost potential due to the rain.  Oh well, there's always next year.
Pirates of The American River




Watch out for this one; He looks scary

These are my two favorite parade groups
I've come to depend on them!


Me and my "booty" post parade

Ironic Really

I did manage to snap a picture of one of our new signs

3 comments:

Heather said...

aw, bummer about the rainy day. we are finally having a break in the rain here.
segway riding polo? really?? that's kind of nuts.

Timbra said...

yeah, bummer about the rain, this is like my oktoberfest saga. . . i hate when things are rained out. . way to be hard core!!!

Grannie Annie said...

Glad you were able to find the fun-sun spots in a gloomy rainy day!