November 11, 2009

Thoughts on Lemon Juice


Lemon juice was always one of those items that was kept in the fridge; I had/have no clue what my mom use to use it for. I'd see it come out, or at least be replaced every now and again which ment it was getting used in something . . . I probably didn't/don't want to know what ;) But lemon juice is something I've never kept in my fridge and I've been living on my own for something like 5 years, I never saw the point; that is until now.

There have been a few times here or there that I thought about getting some lemon juice, or maybe needed it for something, but I always justified not getting it for this reason or that. Until I took a class a few months ago and the recipe called for lemon juice, well we all know how I feel about that. I've yet to make the recipe inpart because it would mean that I'd have to break this unspoken "take that lemon juice" attitude I've had about keeping it in the apartment. I've thought about making the product a time or two but when I'd review the recipe I'd end up not because . . . I didn't have the lemon juice on hand.

Well tonight that all changed. I decided since Tuesday was National Vanilla ________ Day that I'd break down and finally buy the lemon juice. I don't think I ever really realized I have the whole "take that lemon juice I don't need you" attitude until I had to buy it today. I felt like I was losing the battle against the lemon juice.

So I said, ok, today on my way home I'll get some lemon juice and make the recipe . . . but I think today the lemon juice said "take that for giving me a take that" all these years. I thought about it like 20 minutes before I left work (where I drive by a store right on the way home), and didn't remember until I was about 30 seconds from my apartment that I forgot the lemon juice. I made a quick right into the mini-mart and the lemon juice gave me the second "take that" of the night (the first was forgetting it already) because the mini-mart (who has never failed me on a product before) only had the giant bottle of lemon juice. I decided to pass, come home put dinner in the oven and head back out to the store for the lemon juice.

At the store there was the little lemon shaped bottle, and the big lemon shaped bottle. Well I'd forgotten how much the recipe called for, and I didn't really want to have excess lemon juice on hand (don't want to become dependent on it!) but was afraid if I got the little one I wouldn't have enough . . . so I went with the big one. I came home and checked the recipe . . . 1/4 tsp of course . . . the lemon juice gave me a real what for today.

But alas I'll now have it on hand for next time I need to make . . . cupcakes . . . yeah of all things I broke down in my battle against lemon juice for cupcakes . . . what can I say, I'm devoted to my art!!!!!

Next thing you know I'll be stocking lime juice. . .

5 comments:

Su said...

Would it be crazy to suggest that you just buy a lemon & juice it?

My gran also kept lemon juice, and I've never found out why. Although it is possible that there is some in my fridge that I'm just now aware of.

Anonymous said...

what?? i've always had lemons or limes or bottles of juice from both in my fridge! =P my mom always had lemon juice on hand so i guess i always found the need for it too. i don't make homemade lemonade like she does but i use both for random things =)

SnapTrader said...

I used my best Andy Rooney voice while reading that little gem...

The Long Family said...

Lemon juice and honey work great on a cough. Don't know why, but it will stop the cough that's keeping you up all night.
Lemon juice will also make your pancakes very fluffy.
Grandma Irene always used lemon juice in her cooking. It was a staple when we cooked together. I can hear her now, "Get the lemon juice out of the fridge."

Timbra Wiist said...

okay, maybe you're just waiting for my comment to say that i have written this, i'm watching, i'm waiting. .. MOVE ON now lady :) i stock lemon and lime. . . and am always in need!