August 27, 2007

Movie Wisdom

First things first, I was watching the news the other day and I don't remember the context but they were interviewing someone who used this word; irritatement! Yeah I looked it up, it doesn't exist!!! Though I did discover a word I've never heard of before; irritainment - any form of entertainment that is also quite irritating but which one is unable to stop watching, such as a spectacular trial or reality television show. I think it's a word I might try out here and there!!!

So to the real point of this topic. I went to see Evan Almighty the other day and I took away with me two very important life lessons. The first is biased off of this quote; "You want to know how to change the world; one act of random kindness at a time." Now I don't think just me personally doing one act of random kindness at a time's going to change the world, but if everyone applied that, than it truly would change the world. And it struck me more because it's so simple and true than anything else. I think it was just more of a reminder that I have to do my part to make the world a better place, and it doesn't have to be anything grand, just a little something here and there can go a long way in someone else's life. And yes I did write that quote down in the middle of the movie!

The second thing I took away from the movie was more personal, and I had to look this quote up, it was too long to remember or try to write in the dark! "Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?" I realized that it might be true that God gives us opportunities to make ourselves better, because we have to put in the effort if we truly want to change. I thought it was worded very well, and it made me realize I need to ask God for opportunities to grow myself, instead of just asking him to change me over night. The opportunity is truly how you gain the quality.

A very good movie, one I would say is a must see, funny, but inspiring at the same time! Two thumbs up!

4 comments:

Timbra said...

this movie made me cry a few times. . .spiritual realizations, feeling like i could finally identify a little with what Noah was up against when he built the ark, etc. one ARK at a time!!!! i watched big bro 8 last night (because there was nothing else on) now that's irritainment!!!!!!

Grannie Annie said...

Loved the second quote. I thought about it quite a bit for awhile after the movie, but haven't thought of it lately. Thanks for the binder reminder!

Another day in the life of Beau Hart :) said...

Thanks for the congrats! Wow, that's quiet a list there :)

Another day in the life of Beau Hart :) said...

Haley, Haley, Haley. I'm sooo disappointed that you would accuse me of making up harry potter names. My feelings are hurt, haha j/k :) I'm just trying to lived own the shame of being a harry potter fan hahahaha :)