October 24, 2007

The Faceless

There's something about not being able to see someone's face that automatically makes them more scary! Perhaps it's because it takes away their humanness or maybe because when you can't see their face and eyes it takes away your ability to read them, there are other possibilities . . .

The other night I went on the Haunted Forrest of Terror train ride, it was quite fun, and an adventure to say the least. There were 8 of us who went, and we had to caravan up to Nevada City, so the adventure began long before the train ride and ended long after. It was a train ride through a forrest area at 8 o'clock at night. It wasn't graphically terrifying, thank goodness, just startling. The moon was out so it was fairly bright and I had my lookout (Isaac who I made sit on the edge) warning me when someone was coming, yet somehow they still managed to get a few good screams out of me! One monster in particular, he was dubbed the blue light guy was very good at his job.

So about half way through the train ride you have to get off the train and go to the little pumpkin patch while all these creepy people (including one person dressed like Chucky) are chasing you. After Courtney and I had picked our pumpkins we were walking around and one of the scary monsters came up and took my pumpkin, instead of staying with my partner like I had made a pact to do, I screamed and ran away, she had to stay behind to get my pumpkin back. It was so fun/funny.

There were a few particularly good ones, including one guy who was hanging over the train, and you weren't sure if he was real until he started freaking out and shaking his chains, and another guy with a chain-saw which is scary in and of itself in the middle of the woods!
It was all good fun and good times, but I do think it's stilly looking back that I was so scared of people running around in costumes when I know they are just people, but when I can't see their face, the story changes. . .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're not silly, because I would have been just as scared. But I would never have left my partner and ran off by myself. Don't you know from all of the scary movies that it's then that you get killed? Come on Haley, be wise next time. :o)

Kim said...

you are funny haley. sounds like you guys had a blast. my group of friends and family are heading out to the pumpkin patch tomorrow, but as there will be small children there we chose a more docile route. i think that we get kettle corn, a hay ride, and a pumpkin. then we will carve them up and see whose is the best. i love fall!!!

Timbra said...

it sounded scary when you told me on the phone. . . ewwww! um, i've been working on our costumes this week. mike decided on his last night and i'm SUPER excited about it. . .but it's a surprise! (harry potter is the theme. . . ) what are you doing/being? love you!