May 18, 2009

16 Books and Counting

I'd actually planned on writing this blog after I'd finished book 15, that seemed like a good place to review. . . but time slipped away from me and I went and read another book.  In all fairness once I start a book it doesn't take me more than a couple days to finish it, and I'm usually too engrossed in the book to be bothered with blogging!  

As you might recall, I set a goal at the beginning of the year to read 52 books in 2009, or roughly a book a week; thank goodness it's not a leap year or I'd be a little off in my math!  Anyway I've completed 16 as of yesterday and started in on book 17 today.  As much as  I love reading I cannot keep a constant pace of starting one book after the next, I find it a little tiring to read that much; and part of that is because once I get into a book I don't want to put it down . . . something my eyes don't always appreciate!

Ok, so like I said I've ready 16 books and have started in on #17, but we are 19.5 weeks into the year.  First off, I'd just like to ask where exactly those 19 weeks went????  I can't believe it's almost summer, not that I'm complaining, but I'm pretty sure I just celebrated New Years like yesterday.  Anyway, I'm a little behind in my reading, but I'd say I'm not doing to shabby, I did after all spend a good part of the last few months purchasing and "un-purchasing" a business.  But fortunately my "charge" is just shy of 9 months and still takes some pretty sizable naps during the day; these provide ample time for reading!

I can't do a book review on each book, but if you want to ask my opinion on a specific one I'd be more than happy to give you more details.  So without further adieu: 

Book I cannot in good conscious recommend: The Reader - while this book is good, it's a bit hard to swallow.  I borrowed this one from the Lady I work for and after reading the first part she couldn't get over it enough to bring herself to read the second part.  If your willing to overlook a 30 something year old sleeping with a 15 year old then have at it.  If you do decide to read this one, just stick with it, it's a fairly quick read.

Book that took the longest to read: The Making of a Chef - this book is great if you too happen to have a desire to go to culinary school one day.  It's written by an author (duh) who goes through the Culinary Institute of America (he's an author going through not a chef who turns to writing; thus my previous statement!); great book, tends to be a little technical, and it's one of those books where you feel like your not making any progress until you make the half way mark.  I actually had about 30 pages left of this one and I put it down to read The Middle Place, and then came back to finish it up.

Book that will make you feel good:  The Middle Place - this one is a great one if your looking to laugh and cry at the same time.  It's about a woman who's dealing with her Dad being sick while she is also sick.  It will make you cry but it will make you smile and laugh.  It leaves you feeling warm inside.

Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks wins that category with The Lucky One - this book is more along the lines of Nicholas Sparks earlier books; his previous two didn't really do it for me, but this one feels like "home."  But what can I say, I've read almost every single one of this books!

Book I'd recommend: Look Me in the Eye - This is written by a guy who has Aspergers; I personally love reading true stories and especially by people who process things in a different way than most people would consider "normal."  Seeing how other people's minds work is so fascinating, and this guy actually did all the technical stuff for the band KISS, so he was a pioneer of this time.  Aspergers wasn't even a "real diagnosis" until he was in his late 30's.  This gets TWO thumbs up and FIVE starts!!  His brother is the author of Running with Scissors, if you've ever heard of that one?

The list of books I've read is to the right if you haven't found it yet . . . up next Adventures of an Incurable Optimist 

Who knows when the next review will come; I'll have to rework my math!

3 comments:

Grannie Annie said...

Do you have the Middle Place? It's on my list of "to reads."

Timbra said...

i need you to send me your books when you're done. . not that i actually have any time to read them, but i could start a collection for when my kids move out :) good reviews! and hey, you're not too far behind at all. . . maybe a new goal of 48 books this year? love ya!

Grannie Annie said...

There is a little something to donate to the cause (that was recommended to me) on its way via Amazon to you!!!