April 25, 2012

What's in a Name?

Well a lot really, I mean, it's the name I've had from the moment I was born and for the first 26 years of my life.  But now I have a new name, and I'm quite alright with that!  Yesterday was the final step in officially becoming Haley Rose Phillips!  Due to the fact that we are moving in, oh 3 weeks and 1 day from today, it was of upmost importance that I got all the name change stuff taken care of ASAP so I could be put on Dennis' orders for the move.

First there was the acquiring of marriage certificate; walked into the office and out 5 minutes later certificate in hand - Check.
Next up Social Security, in and out in under 10 minutes, and my card in hand 3 days later (they said it could take up to 2 weeks!) - Check
Next was getting my name on my license changed; walked into the DMV, they didn't have my appointment on the books, waited an hour and then had to leave.  Two days later walked in and 10 minutes later, because they did have my appointment down this time, I walked out with paper license in hand - Check.

Those were the three most important things to get taken care of so I could get my Military ID, but along the way I also got all those other annoyances of name change out of the way, credit cards, insurance, phone, bank accounts, etc ....  Now I just have to wait and keep my fingers crossed that all my new cards make it to the house before we move, and then lucky me, I get to call and change all my addresses again!!!

Yesterday we made out way down to get my Military ID, and it's officially official, I'm now Haley Rose Phillips where all matters of importance are concerned.  Of course as we were leaving base I said: "Now it's officially official, I'm your wife!"  and at the same time I said wife Dennis said "dependent!"  Oh the mind of a man!

So now I'm Haley Phillips, except for when I forget and tell people that I'm Haley McDonald, and in those moments when I do something silly and my husband called me Haley McDonald.  He then quickly tries to cover his mistake by saying he'll not claim me as a Phillips when I do said thing!

It's fun, it's exciting, and it's my name; most of the time I'm just Haley so it's not really any adjustment at all, but seeing as I've had the same name for 26 years, it's going to take a little time to get use to that whole Phillips part!

3 comments:

Renee said...

congratulations Haley Phillips :)

Unknown said...

well stated dear Haley! I love your delivery, you have a get knack for writing ... more please. MOVE? Where? When?

Timbra said...

the name changing is such a pain, but you're so organized and on top of it. . . glad you've found a new place now so you can do it all again and have your new address :) i still have a hard time letting go of my MC roots. . .they're always there :) but name or not, we know where we come from and choose where we're going :)