May 1, 2012

Letting Go of the Handlebars

As I was riding my bike this afternoon, I couldn't help but realize while I was trying to convince myself to ride hands free that riding a bike is much like the journey of life.  My mind tells me I can't do it and if I hesitate I can't, but it's as simple as just letting go.  As soon as I take my hands off the handlebars, I'm riding free and grinning big.


Life is like riding a bike, always a balancing act; sometimes the wind is pushing you left or right and sometimes it's pushing straight at you, but then there are those glorious times when the wind is at your back helping you cruise right along in the direction you want to go.  Sometimes you have to work extra hard to go up hill, and those hills can be steep, short or they can be long and gradual but one way or the other slow and steady always gets you where you want to go (even if you have to walk from time to time.)  And then again, there are those amazing times when you're headed down hill so fast you feel like you're flying!  The road can be bumpy, rocky, covered in pot holes or sooth as glass.  There are stop signs and yield signs and every now and again a flat tire, and don't forget about the bugs, they sting when you collide at high speeds (I should know, I think I hit at least 6 bees today, and one with my face!)  But it's all a ride and as long as you're moving forward with the sun shining down on you, you can't go wrong.

No matter what the ride might bring, sometimes you just need to take your hands off the handlebars, just let go and enjoy the ride ...

Today I let go of the handlebars while on my bike, I didn't know what would happen but I was grinning and enjoying the moment.  That's my whole life right now, I've let go of the "handlebars" and I'm grinning from ear to ear!

2 comments:

LLLofMurray said...

sister. . . you know i'm reading every one right? but i'm also ONLY to your wedding day and only the first of SEVEN posts about it (because i needed to break the photos up into bite sized pieces). . . you're flying free. . . enjoy the ride!

Anonymous said...

I love this blog! You are such an inspirational person and blogger